Surface Mount Technology- Without proper moisture control, field failures will occur.
In 2013, the JEDEC Solid State Technology Association announced the newest standard of Handling, Packing, Shipping, and Use of Moisture and/or Process Sensitive Components. This document provides MSD and SMT manufacturers and users with standardized methods for handling, packing, shipping and use of moisture sensitive MSDs. Now updated to support components that may need to be processed at higher temperatures, such as lead-free processes, these methods help avoid damage from moisture absorption and exposure to solder reflow temperatures that can result in yield and reliability problems.
Eureka's Fast Super Dryer meets IPC/JEDEC J-STD-033C standards and helps achieve safe and damage-free reflow while providing maximum shelf life for components, devices and PCBs. Eureka's Fast Super Dryer (also called low humidity dry cabinet, super dryer, desiccator or humidity control cabinet, etc.) provides MSDs (moisture sensitive devices) unlimited floor life when stored at <5% RH.
Eureka’s SMT Dry Cabinets are affordable and effective solution in removing moisture in the production process, eliminating moisture related problems without using nitrogen (N2) / dry air purging. Eureka’s Fast Super Dryer dry cabinets can be used as an alternative to baking components and PCBs, eliminating heat baking problems such as breakdowns of protective coatings, lead oxidation, intermetallic growth, warping and solderability. Eureka’s ultra-low humidity cabinets provides SMD tapes, reel & tapes or reel to reels (which cannot be baked) the perfect humidity control solution. With these problems eliminated, product reliability and yield will increase.
How does moisture affect SMT production?
- Trace moisture causes failures to moisture sensitive components during high temperature reflow process when the moisture expands rapidly. Common component defects and failures such as micro-cracking, blistering, popcorn effects will occur in moisture sensitive devices when improperly handled and stored.
Printed Circuit Boards and plastic IC Packages are hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the ambient environment. Any absorbed moisture, even in trace amounts, will lead to popcorning, blistering, delamination and warping when high reflow temperatures cause the moisture to expand.
These are examples of the type of moisture related damage to a PCB assembly that can occur if incorrect storage or handling is not followed.
Image sourced from : Bob Willis email@example.com www.Bobwillis.co.uk /https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn7P-knw_lg&feature=youtu.be
- reduced viscosity
- spatter during reflow
- produce excessive oxidation of the solder joint
Traditional Industry Drying Methods Issues Solved
In addition to providing humidity controlled storage, Eureka’s SMT Fast Super Dryer also provides drying capabilities optimal for removing moisture in all moisture sensitive materials in SMT production. Drying and storage issues faced in SMT/EMS industry:
- High temperature baking process used to dry PCBs causes breakdowns of protective coatings, lead oxidation, intermetallic buildup and warping while reducing solderability of circuit boards.
- Nitrogen and dry air purge is costly and will only provide a storage environment by forcing moisture from the storage cabinet. Nitrogen (N2) purging does not have drying capabilities to remove moisture that has absorbed into the moisture sensitive materials, components or devices.
- Packaging materials of the reel, the carrier tape, and the cover tape cannot withstand the baking temperature.
- Moisture barrier bags (MBBs), requires a vacuum sealer, desiccant packs, humidity indicator cards (HICs) and extra man hours. MBBs are ineffective when improperly sealed.
Features of Eureka SMT Fast Super Dryer’s Ultra-low Humidity Cabinet:
- Eureka Fast Super Dryers are available in options of <5% RH, <10% RH, <20% RH with fast recovery times.
- Functions in ambient temperature and pressure (NTP) conditions without using costly nitrogen (N2) or dry air purging.
- Moisture is removed and expelled from the dry cabinet by the use of powerful and renewable desiccants. No fans are required to ventilate and no consumables to replace.
- Dual hygrometer sensor design with independent thermal hygrometers monitoring relative humidity levels inside the dry cabinet.
- Eureka’s Fast Super Dryer will provide moisture sensitive devices infinite floor-life and resetting shelf life meeting IPC/JEDEC J-STD 033C standards.
- Eureka’s SMT dry cabinets will provide storage environment meeting IPC 1601 standards optimal for multi-layer Printed Circuit Board / Printed Wire Boards.
- All of Eureka’s Fast Super Dryers are equipped with anti-static paint, glass, casters and 1M ohm grounding cable meeting IEC-61340-5-1 (ESD) Standard.
Application of Eureka’s Fast Super Dryers
When components are removed from moisture barrier bags and placed in Eureka’s ultra-low humidity SMT dry cabinet, it will stop floor life clock for all IC packages such as:
Dual-in-line: flatpack, SOIC, SOJ, TSOP, SSOP, TSSOP, QSOP, VSOP, DFN
Quad-in-line: PLCC, QFP, LQFP, PQFP, CQFP, MQFP, TQFP, QFN, LCC, MLP, PQFN
Grid arrays: PGA, BGA, LGA, FBGA, LFBGA, TFBGA, CGA, CCGA, μBGA, LLP
- Drying and storage of multi-layer PCB and PWB before and after mounting, including dual side boards awaiting second side reflow. Maintain accurate board dimensions, reducing board stretch and warp due to high moisture content.
- Moisture controlled storage with drying/desiccating capabilities for PCB pattern film/prepreg, quartz, fiber optics, CCDs, etc.
- Silicon Wafers- Reduces contamination from particles suspended in moisture droplets, anti-oxidation.
- Liquid Crystal Glass Board- Dehydration under ambient temperature after polishing
- Lead Frames & Carriers- Controlled humidity increases the reliability of solder and wire bond points
- Fiber Optics, CCD etc- Retards organic growth and maintains the condition of key fiber optics devices and components
Millions of users worldwide have used and trusted in Eureka's products to solve moisture related problems. Our dry cabinets are widely used in R&D, high-tech manufacturing industries, laboratories, clean rooms and warehouses, etc.
Additional Educational Resources: